In 1949, in a rapidly developing suburban community on the fringe
of Houston, the Bellaire Women’s Civic Club was formed. In January of 1951 the club named a committee for the formation of a Bellaire
Library and held a book drive. Books were collected and catalogued under the direction of a professional librarian who was also a member of the Bellaire Women’s Civic Club. The BWCC formally presented the Library to the City of Bellaire in May of 1951. By October 1951, the Friends of the Bellaire Library was organized to support the new library.
The Friends of the Bellaire Library, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization, has continued its backing by encouraging volunteers, membership support and fund raising.
With the assistance of The Friends, the Bellaire Library continues to grow and stay a focal point in the Bellaire Community.